Sunday 12 June 2011

I feel slightly confused

Probably more than “slightly”
It doesn’t take much to confuse me, but as I sit here typing this (with immense pain in my mouth) I must admit to being very confused by the above saying.
I appreciate that in certain circumstances “no pain no gain” can make a bit of sense and may even be justified, but I would imagine that in many more circumstances it sounds like utter twaddle to the person experiencing said pain.
If I were in training for something or trying to achieve some personal goal re endurance etc  then maybe, just maybe I would agree, but I’m not, I’m sitting here with an abscess in my gum, deep beneath a tooth, pressing on a nerve and feeling more sensitive by the hour, oh and its expletive expletive agony L
So that’s the pain part established, now for the gain part, ummmmmm ,  oh, I know, once I have endured this pain my gain will be a reward of some sort from the government, possibly linked  to events in Libya and how my abscess played a central role in a positive outcome? A knighthood maybe, for services rendered to the dentistry profession? What about an enormous sense of wellbeing and inner peace because I know my suffering was not in vain and others will benefit from it………. No? I wonder what it will be then.
Let’s be honest, none of those will occur and nothing good will come of it, there is no gain linked to the pain I’m currently in, the only gain will be when it stops but that’s a daft reason to have pain, knowing it will be nice to endure because when it stops you will feel better. That’s like hitting your thumb with a hammer repeatedly while putting a shelf up because you know that when you stop hitting it you will be happier, of course you will be, but that’s not the point, don’t hit it in the first place!
No pain no gain? Sorry, don’t agree at the moment, more like pain with no gain…………
Still, on a brighter note at least the shelf is up and the swelling in my thumb has gone down, I’m joking, I wasn’t hitting my thumb with a hammer, although I was putting a shelf (or 2) up J

No comments:

Post a Comment